The Psychological Health Center of Excellence (PHCoE) is the psychological health component of the Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury (DCoE). PHCoE and DCoE are part of the Defense Health Agency. DCoE and its three centers, PHCoE, the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center (DVBIC), and the National Center for Telehealth & Technology (T2) are responsible for informing, integrating and evaluating psychological health and traumatic brain injury practices and policies across the services.
PHCoE’s mission is to improve the lives of our nation's service members, veterans and families by advancing excellence in psychological health care and prevention of psychological health disorders.
PHCoE’s vision is to be the trusted source and partner in shaping meaningful improvements in psychological health care and prevention of psychological health disorders.
PHCoE is uniquely positioned to collaborate across the Defense Department, Department of Veterans Affairs and other agencies to provide leadership and expertise, inform policy and drive improvements in psychological health outcomes. The center maintains four core strategic priorities: improve care quality; increase access, reduce barriers, and encourage optimal use of psychological health resources; advance the science of psychological health; and foster organizational development.
Major areas of focus:
- Develop and implement evidence-based treatments and clinical support tools to improve psychological health specialty care
- Promote a culture of support for psychological health by improving psychological health literacy, developing patient empowerment tools, encouraging help-seeking behavior and reducing barriers to care
- Conduct an integrated portfolio of psychological health research to improve the system of care including identifying gaps and prioritizing needs with a goal of translating research into clinical practice and improving patient outcomes
- Integrate behavioral health into primary care to improve early identification and treatment of psychological health concerns
- Provide program monitoring and evaluation services, and develop metrics and measures to inform performance, outcomes and health care utilization