- VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline Management of Major Depressive Disorder: Guideline, Summary, and Patient-Provider Tools
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Depression in Veterans and Military Servicemembers: Therapist Manual, Department of Veterans Affairs
- VA/DoD Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) Toolkit Training - Key Concepts for Primary Care Providers Slide Presentation
- National Center for Telehealth and Technology (T2) – Mobile Applications Page
- National Institutes of Mental Health – Depression
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services – Depression
- American Psychological Association - Depression
- National Alliance on Mental Illness - Depression
- Mental Health America
- Real Warriors – Dealing with Depression: Symptoms and Treatment
- Warrior Transition Command - Depression
- Airmen’s Guide to Assisting Personnel in Distress
- Navy Leader’s Guide to Managing Sailors in Distress
- USMC Behavioral Health Information Network
There has been significant research conducted on the topic of depression, particularly with regards to effective treatments over the past several years with the increased emphasis on improved patient outcomes. Below is a list of important research reports and studies regarding depression.
- The Economic Burden of Adults With Major Depressive Disorder in the United States (2015)
- This paper provides updated findings to the 2000 study regarding the economic burden of depression in the United States.
- Returning Home from Iraq and Afghanistan: Assessment of Readjustment Needs of Veterans, Service members, and Their Families (2013)
- This report examines the physical and mental health along with other readjustment needs of members of the armed forces as a result of recent deployments.
- Brief Psychotherapy for Depression in Primary Care: A Systematic Review of the Evidence (2011)
- A systematic review conducted by the VA of evidence for treatment of depression in primary care.
- Comparative Effectiveness of Smoking Cessation Treatments for Patients With Depression: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of the Evidence (2010)
- A systematic review conducted by the VA of peer-reviewed literature examining the effectiveness of different smoking cessation strategies on patients with a depressive disorder or history of a depressive disorder.
- Determining Key Features of Effective Depression Interventions (2009)
- This study conducted by the VA examined whether there are specific design features of collaborative care interventions that are consistently associated with greater impact on depressive symptoms.
- Evidence Synthesis for Determining the Efficacy of Psychotherapy for Treatment Resistant Depression (2009)
- A review conducted by the VA of evidence regarding the effectiveness of psychotherapeutic approaches as a second step treatment for Major Depressive Disorder in patients who do not achieve remission after initial treatment with antidepressants.
- Evidence Synthesis for Determining the Responsiveness of Depression Questionnaires and Optimal Treatment Duration for Antidepressant Medications (2009)
- An examination of evidence conducted by the VA on assessment tools for patients with major depressive disorder that are responsive to change as well as the minimum treatment duration to decrease the risk of relapse in patients with major depressive disorder who remit with antidepressant medication.