Skip to content
Suggested Future Directions
- Delineate trends in mental health care utilization by mental health disorder (e.g. depressive disorders, PTSD, and anxiety disorders).
- Assess the types and frequencies of health care visits that occur among diagnosed ADSMs by mental health disorder. Specifically, assess which visit types (i.e. inpatient, outpatient, telephone consult, etc.), clinic types (i.e. psychiatry, internal medicine, mental health clinic), and procedures (i.e. diagnostic evaluation, substance use monitoring session, psychotherapy for crisis) comprise the current level of service utilization.
- Assess whether clinic-level metrics, such as staffing levels and appointment availability correlate with trends in average health care utilization among diagnosed ADSMs.
- Explore health care utilization patterns among ADSMs with various mental health diagnoses. For example, determine whether utilization of substance abuse treatment is higher in purchased or direct care settings.
- Determine patterns of care utilization among ADSMs with comorbid versus singular mental health diagnoses.
- Investigate care delivery patterns associated with improved mental health outcomes and/or increased readiness among ADSMs (e.g. does a relatively high number of mental health-related hospitalizations correlate with poor mental health outcomes scores and/or subsequent attrition from the ADSM population?).