VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain
- Management of Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain (2017)
- Management of Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain Summary Guideline (2017)
Opioid Therapy Clinical Support Tools
Clinical support tools for providers and patients in managing the various aspects of opioid therapy for chronic pain that include information and recommendations on proper opioid therapy procedures and recognizing and responding to opioid misuse. Army, Air Force and Navy medical treatment facilities can order hard copies of the tools on the Army Medical Command Clinical Practice Guidelines Tool Kit Shopping Cart website.
- Opioid Therapy Pocket Card (2017)
- Provides algorithms for assessment, start of trial and discontinuation of opioid therapy, as well as contraindications to therapy and predictors, risks and preferred treatment for opioid misuse.
Patient Information Guide: Long-term Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain
- Patient booklet that highlights responsible use of opioids, benefits and risks of opioid therapy, and self-management tips.
- Managing Side Effects and Complications of Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain (2017)
- Fact sheet for primary care providers that explains how to properly manage side effects of opioid therapy.
- Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain Pocket Guide (2017 – COMING SOON)
- Tabbed pocket guide to help providers assess the risks and benefits of initiating or continuing opioid therapy and recommended strategies for managing tapering, withdrawal and discontinuation.
- Tapering and Discontinuing Opioids (2017 – COMING SOON)
- Brochure for primary care providers with strategies to safely taper, manage withdraw and discontinue long-term opioid therapy.