VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for the Management of Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain
(Currently being updated)
- Management of Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain (2010)
- Management of Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain Summary Guideline (2010)
Opioid Therapy Clinical Support Tools
Clinical support tools for providers and patients in managing the various aspects of opioid therapy for chronic pain that include information and recommendations on proper opioid therapy procedures and recognizing and responding to opioid misuse. Army, Air Force and Navy medical treatment facilities can order hard copies of the tools on the Army Medical Command Clinical Practice Guidelines Tool Kit Shopping Cart website.
- Opioid Therapy Pocket Card (2012)
- Provides algorithms for assessment, start of trial and discontinuation of opioid therapy, as well as contraindications to therapy and predictors, risks and preferred treatment for opioid misuse.
- Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain Pocket Guide (2013)
- Quick reference tool created for primary care and psychological health providers who administer and direct opioid therapy treatment services to patients with chronic pain in DoD or VA health care settings; highlights critical decision points when managing patients with chronic pain who are candidates for or are currently receiving opioid therapy.
- Indications for Consultation and Referral During Opioid Therapy (2013)
- Fact sheet to guide in the management of opioid therapy in the DoD and VA when consultation and referral of patients to specialists are necessary; also provides information about risks and behaviors associated with opioid misuse.
- Opioid Therapy and Methadone Use in Primary Care for Chronic Non-cancer Pain (2013)
- Fact sheet for primary care providers outlining the complexities of using methadone opioid therapy for the treatment of moderate to severe pain.
- Managing Side Effects and Complications of Opioid Therapy for Chronic Pain (2013)
- Fact sheet explaining how to properly manage side effects of opioid therapy in DoD and VA primary care settings.
- Tapering and Discontinuing Opioids (2013)
- Fact sheet to inform DoD and VA providers of approved strategies to successfully taper opioid medications.
- Taking Opioids Responsibly for Your Safety and the Safety of Others (2013)
- Patient guide containing information related to how providers use opioids to treat chronic pain and how to take opioid medications safely.