VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for Management of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Acute Stress Reaction
(Currently being updated)
- Management of Post-traumatic Stress (2010)
- Management of Post-traumatic Stress Guideline Summary (2010)
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Clinical Support Tools
Clinical support tools for PTSDthat contain recommendations on screening, diagnosis, psychotherapy, pharmacotherapy, referrals, and patient and family education. Army, Air Force and Navy medical treatment facilities can order hard copies of the tools on the Army Medical Command Clinical Practice Guidelines Tool Kit Shopping Cart website.
- Understanding PTSD (2013)
- This 12-page guide outlines for service members, veterans and their families the diagnosis of PTSD, how to get help and various resources available to them.
- VA/DoD Essentials for PTSD Provider Tool (2013)
- This brochure is a step-by-step tool created to assist health care providers with care of patients experiencing post-traumatic stress.
- Implementing the 2010 VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for PTSD: A Guide for Clinic Leaders (2013)
- The guide is intended to help clinic leaders identify ways their clinics’ practices can be more consistent with CPG recommendations; describe concrete actions, quick tips and specific resources to help improve practices specific to clinics related to the PTS continuum of care; and enable clinic leaders to evaluate their clinics and help implement changes based on key recommendations from the CPG.
- Experiencing PTSD as a Family (2013)
- Health care providers should use this guide with family members to educate them about the signs and symptoms of PTSD; possible impact on family and friends; where to get professional help; how to encourage an individual with PTSD to seek treatment; and how best to contribute to treatment.
- PTSD Pocket Guide (2013)
- Provides medical and mental health providers with a useful, quick reference tool for treating patients with PTSD and related conditions. It was derived directly from the VA/DoD PTSD CPG.
Additional PTSD Treatment Guidance
- Treatments for PTSD
- This webpage provides descriptive information on treatments for PTSD.