VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline for Assessment and Management of Patients at Risk for Suicide
FDA Warning/Regulatory Alert
This guideline references a drug(s) for which important revised regulatory and/or warning information has been released since completion of the CPG.
- Assessment and Management of Patients at Risk for Suicide (2013)
- Assessment and Management of Patients at Risk for Suicide Guideline Summary (2013)
Suicide Risk Clinical Support Tools
Clinical support tools for the assessment and management of patients at risk for suicide that provide recommendations on suicide warning signs, protective factors, safety planning and effective treatments. Army, Air Force and Navy medical treatment facilities can order hard copies of the tools on the Army Medical Command Clinical Practice Guidelines Tool Kit Shopping Cart website.
- Patient Safety Plan Worksheet (2014)
- Provider-driven tool that enables the health care provider and patient to collaboratively identify stressful triggers, warning signs, sources of support, coping strategies and ways to access health care assistance within a quick reference guide. The worksheet is typically completed during a face-to-face appointment. Providers should give the completed safety plan to the patient and document completion of a safety plan in the electronic medical record.
- Suicide Prevention: A Guide for Military and Veteran Families (2014)
- Health care providers should use this guide with family members to educate them about suicide warning signs, how to access care, appropriate treatments and ways they can best help a loved one who has suicide ideation or is in crisis.
- Suicide Prevention: Overcoming Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings (2014)
- Two-page guide providers can use with patients to educate them on risk management, strategies to build inner sources of strength, how to recognize warning signs, effective coping strategies, and the importance of treatment engagement.
- Suicide Risk Provider Pocket Guide (2013)
- A concise overview of guidelines and decision aids for primary and specialty care providers related to prevention, symptom recognition, treatment and patient management.
For an introduction to the Assessment and Management of Patients at Risk for Suicide CPG, view this VA/DoD broadcast (video).
Additional Suicide Risk Treatment Guidance
Select Federal Agency Webpages on Suicide Prevention
- National Institute of Mental Health Science News about Suicide Prevention
- U.S. National Library of Medicine, MedlinePlus