Add new comment

  • Thank you for your question! When any service member sees a medical provider, this is entered into their military medical record (not the service record), just as a civilian's medical appointments and test reports are documented within their medical record. It is up to the provider to determine if additional reporting is required, just as in the civilian sector, and to report the information to the appropriate party. For example, childhood histories are almost never relevant to report outside of the provider-patient relationship. Other problems, such as transient problems related to relationship stress, adjustment problems, grief, or alcohol education, are expressly protected from reporting (per Department of Defense Instruction 6490.08). However, in the case of more serious mental health symptoms, this would be determined by the nature and severity of the symptoms, the service member's current duties, whether or not the service member is in a deployed environment, etc. The key is to maintain health and safety when information must be reported, but to maintain confidentiality whenever possible.

    Capt. Kennedy

  • All ideas will be considered, but may not be accepted.