Implementation science is an emerging field that recognizes the gap between research findings and practice translation, and is defined by the National Institutes of Health as "the study of methods to promote the integration of research findings and evidence into healthcare policy and practice." Implementation science best practices establish purposeful methods that describe activities or action steps that help to successfully bridge the gap between research and practice.
As mental health policy makers and leaders, we often find many significant challenges when attempting to improve clinical care or service delivery, and frequently discover that simple change mandates or training requirements are generally insufficient to accomplish change objectives. Instead, we need to collaborate in advance to plan for change and to assess, anticipate and address barriers when encountered.
The PBI Network follows the precepts of IS best practices, and the trainings and pilot programs contained within this network follow a standardized, rigorous implementation methodology that promotes appropriate practice change. Moreover, each PBI Network program and project is developed in concert with principal stakeholders.
Access implementation science resources from the National Institutes of Health Fogarty International Center.
If you are interested in Implementation Science consultation, learn more on the PBI Network page.
PHCoE Implementation Science Initiatives
Implementation Science Presentation Series (ISPS)
The Implementation Science Presentation Series aims to engage psychological health professionals in current research by providing peer-reviewed journal article presentations and promoting professional discussion. The ISPS typically provides 9-12 virtual presentations per calendar year. For more information or to participate in the series, please contact the PBI Network.
Implementation Science Monthly
This newsletter provides target information for behavioral health providers who lead the rapid translation of research findings into routine clinical practice.
- June 2019 Implementation Science Monthly
- April 2019 Implementation Science Monthly
- February 2019 Implementation Science Monthly
- December 2018 Implementation Science Monthly
- October 2018 Implementation Science Monthly
- August 2018 Implementation Science Monthly
- June 2018 Implementation Science Monthly
- April 2018 Implementation Science Monthly
- February 2018 Implementation Science Monthly
- December 2017 Implementation Science Monthly
- October 2017 Implementation Science Monthly
- July 2017 Implementation Science Monthly